Preparing Your Home for a Big Storm
The middle of summertime means almost daily rainstorms. In South Florida, the rain seems to come as quickly as it leaves and that’s a good thing. Unfortunately, however, we all know how much impact even short-lived heavy rains can have on the roads, on the neighborhoods, and on individual homes across the county. While some storms are so massive they cause unpreventable damage, the majority of South Florida storms will cause minimal to no damage if the homeowner is readily prepared for them to occur. There are a number of home maintenance tips that can help to mitigate potential storm damage, especially for those who live in flood-prone areas and neighborhoods.
Preventative measures can save thousands of dollars in storm damage repairs. As such, keep the following tips in mind when preparing your home for a big storm:
- Make sure the fence surrounding your home is secured
- Clear your gutters of all debris and ensure they are faced to drain away from your home
- Remove any dead tree limbs and trim trees near on the property
- Place any valuables in waterproof containers
- Gather documents like insurance policies, birth certificates, health/medications paperwork, and important phone numbers
- Check your roof’s condition
- Secure all loose items around the property
- Protect important areas like your windows and doors
Being prepared for a big storm means being proactive in safeguarding your property, both inside and outside of the home. Those living near the coastline must pay extra attention to the news to determine if they need to evacuate their neighborhood. If heavy rains or storms have damaged any part of your home or property, contact SERVPRO today to speak with our team of storm restoration professionals!