Home Electrical Fires Risks and Consequences
Home fires are all too common in the United States. While home fires can arise from a number of sources, residential building electrical fires are some of the most frequently seen issues throughout the country. As a South Florida homeowner, it is important to understand the risks and consequences associated with electrical fires in order to prevent them from starting in the first place.
The U.S. Fire Administration recently released a report outlining some of the most important statistics gathered from 2014 through 2016. The following facts and figures highlight the characteristics of home electrical fires from that time period:
- About 24,000 residential building electrical fires were reported
- Approximately 850 injuries and 310 deaths occurred as a result of the fires
- Property loss numbers reached about $871 million
- January saw the highest rate of electrical fires compared to any other months
- 15 percent of the residential building electrical fires started in bedrooms
While these numbers only scratch the surface, they serve to point out just how dangerous residential building electrical fires can be. Being prepared and cautious is the best way to prevent home fires from starting. If you or a loved one’s home has suffered from fire damage, contact SERVPRO of North Palm Beach County for immediate, reliable restoration services.