Preparing Your Commercial Property for a Hurricane
If the last few days showed us anything it reinforced the fact that hurricane season is here. While South Florida was lucky enough to miss a direct hit, homeowners and business owners throughout the area were given a free lesson in the value of preparedness. During this time of year we are often focused on preparing our houses when a storm is heading our way. From putting up shutters to buying water and nonperishables, Floridians have grown accustom to a certain pre-hurricane routine. Taking each and every storm seriously is critical to keeping you and your loved ones safe.
While preparing your home is certainly the priority, business owners must also consider how they can protect their commercial property. The following are some important tips to keep in mind while preparing your commercial property for a hurricane:
- Take a look at your roof and ensure that it is in good condition
- Remove any outdoor signs or accessories that could become projectiles in high winds
- Consider tree pruning in the areas surrounding the property
- Go over your property insurance
- Create a specific emergency plan and ensure that all employees are aware of it
- Enact an emergency plan as soon as a Hurricane Watch is issued
- Build up your supplies now in the event of a storm
- Make backup copies of any important documents
Being a business owner is stressful year round, but a looming storm increases this stress tremendously. As such, it is imperative to create an action plan before a storm hits. Hurricanes present a threat to everyone, from coastal businesses to businesses further west. If your business has sustained any water damage from a recent storm, our commercial property restoration team is ready to help. Contact SERVPRO of North Palm Beach County today to learn more!