9 Tips to Prevent a Home Fire
Estimates show that about 2,500 deaths occur each year due to home fires throughout the United States. While that may seem like a small number compared to other disasters, the reality is that almost all home fires are preventable. South Florida homeowners know that house fires do not happen every day. When something occurs so infrequently, it can be easy to forget about the possibility of it happening in the first place. This type of thinking is what lays the foundation for a potential fire.
With this in mind, we found that it is particularly important to think about the possibility of a home fire. In doing so, you are preparing your mind and significantly increasing your chances of avoiding one from happening. Keep the following tips in mind to prevent a home fire:
- Test your smoke alarms every month
- Change batteries in your smoke alarm as needed, do not delay
- Keep your oven and stove clean
- Keep an eye on the functioning of kitchen appliances and the dryer
- Make sure that your mattress has flame-retardant chemicals inside
- Check chords around your house and make sure there are no frayed ends
- Be extra cautious with candles, never leave the house with an open flame
- Store all flammable products properly
- Keep fire extinguishers easily accessible and check for functionality
Preventing a home fire means taking proactive measures to ensure that your home and your family are as safe as possible. While everyone fears the worst, the above tips will prove to be instrumental in avoiding a fire from starting in your house. However, if the unthinkable happens we are here for you. SERVPRO of North Palm Beach County has decades of experience in home fire damage restoration. Call us today to learn more!