Preventing Water Damage in Your Garage
Summertime in South Florida means unpredictable rain, seemingly endless heavy rains, tropical storms, and hurricanes. As homeowners, everyone worries about the impact that this excess water may have on their homes. When we think of water damage, we often associate it with bathrooms, kitchens, and laundry rooms. All of these areas in the home have a lot of potential for leaks and thus garner most of the attention.
When it comes to water damage, a homeowner would inevitably prefer to deal with garage issues compared to bathroom, kitchen, or laundry room issues. However, garage water damage can still be a costly headache. Experiencing flooding inside of the garage can mean water damage to the floor and walls, as well as any property being stored in the garage. Therefore, taking measures to prevent water damage in your garage is key.
Repairing water damage in a garage can be costly, so it is important for homeowners to recognize ways to prevent it from occurring in the first place. There are a number of steps that can be taken to reduce the likelihood of flooding in your garage. Some of the most critical tips to preventing garage water damage include:
- Check the garage roof for leaks regularly
- Check that the weather stripping is in good condition, as this gets worn down easily and will need to be replaced somewhat frequently
- Clear out any clogs in the roof gutters near the garage
- Get in the habit of keeping the garage door closed, especially during rainy season
- Check the water heater for any potential leaks
- Replace garage door panels in a timely fashion
These simple maintenance measures have proven to make all of the difference when it comes to keeping the garage dry and water-free. Avoiding costly repairs for garage flooding means following these steps and being vigilant. As always, if you have experienced any type of water damage SERVPRO of North Palm Beach County is here to help. Contact us today for immediate assistance!