Cooking Safety Tips for the Holidays
The holiday season is a time when everyone is in the kitchen. Gathering around the table to enjoy a special feast that you and your family prepared is truly priceless. Warm plates and warm hearts are truly what the holidays are all about. Even if you are only able to celebrate with a small group of family members this year, taking some time to stop and appreciate all that you have is so important. At SERVPRO of North Palm Beach County, we cherish the holiday season and the connection that we have built with our community.
While the holidays and meals go hand-in-hand, thinking through holiday cooking safety tips is something that many people overlook. Unfortunately, cooking accidents happens all too often this time of year. This year, keep the following cooking safety tips in mind to avoid fire damage:
- Never leave the stove on if the kitchen is unattended
- Keep a fire extinguisher somewhere near the kitchen area
- If frying, boiling, grilling, or boiling food, stay in the kitchen
- Make sure that the stovetop is clear of things like oven mitts, towels, food packaging, and wooden utensils
- Hot grease should be disposed of in a garbage can
- Use timers as much as you possibly can
- When simmering, baking, or roasting foods be sure to check on them regularly
- If an oven fire occurs, turn off of the heat and leave the door closed
- If a small fire occurs on the stove top, smother the flames with a lid and turn off the burner
- If you have any doubt about your ability to stop a small fire in your kitchen, immediately exit your home and call 911
From turkeys to ham and from casseroles to delicious desserts, everyone is sure to indulge this holiday season. Keep fire safety tips in mind while you cook with your family this week. And remember, if you have suffered from any fire damage we are here to help!